1. Favorite new dinner: Cantonese shrimp and eggs, with sauteed napa cabbage and rice.
This turned out to be great. I was poking around for a shrimp recipe idea and I came across a Mark Bittman article on shrimp and eggs. I remembered my boss saying that Golden Harbor does a great version of this as well so I gave it a try. Of course, I have no wok....but the quickly scrambled eggs cooked with barely done shrimp and a dash of soy and sesame oil turned out to be fantastic. I had a pound of shrimp and I used 9 eggs but I think the ratio of shrimp was too heavy...next time I would use half a pound of shrimp. I didn't use as much sesame and soy as Bittman did but next time I might up it a bit. Nice Sola Gratia napa cabbage slivered and sauteed quickly with some garlic and ginger and a splash of soy sauce, served on top of some Asian rice. Ernie and I loved it (Owen was iffy) and even enjoyed nibbling the cold leftovers the next day!
2. When Owen gets involved in our shopping list.
3. I am NOT a good dessert maker so my latest thing is to stock root beer and vanilla ice cream. When we had friends over a week or so ago we were all too full for dessert. On Friday though Kent took me up on the root beer float and appeared to be a connoisseur no less. I love that boy. I don't even know if I love root beer floats but they bring back my childhood and the thrill of having a treat so strongly that it makes me giddy.
4. Tonight I don't feel like cooking a whole bunch...so I'm making a batch of my sesame noodles. We'll cut up whatever vegetables we have on hand and maybe throw a little meat on the grill to go with it. Easy and summery.
5. I had planned to make chicken kabobs as an experiment for the next house concert but I forgot it had to marinate overnight. So instead, Ernie is off at the store with Owen's weird shopping list and getting yogurt for that. I will get it ready tonight and we'll have it tomorrow night with some tabouleh salad (I found bulgar wheat in my pantry---woo-hoooo!). I'm not the biggest fan of cooking with mint but my mint patch in the front yard is going crazy so I decided I must make tabouleh.
6. That's about all for now.