1. Woke up to just a light layer of fluffy snow this morning. Why does snow make me so happy?
2. My car stinks. Yup. Remember when I had water in my basement? Well, our end of the street flooded so badly that the floorboards of my car got soaked. So whenever the temperature gets warms enough for things to thaw.....it stinks. There's so much moisture in the car that the inside of the windshield constantly freezes and somehow scraping the inside of your windshield is just damned hard...and damned irritating.
3. O.K.....is Rob Arrol the nicest guy in the world? Possibly. After my plea for more Adam Schmitt videos he dug out a video he had from Pop the Balloon Days, an audio disc of the same and a disc of Paul Chastain stuff and sent it to Owen...all with a letter addressed to Owen. You should have SEEN Owen's face. (What was I thinking not to photodocument this?) We watched a bit of it before he went up to bed last night and he sat there proudly clutching the cds and very carefully retrieved the video when we stopped it and put it back in its case. He'd carefully smoothed the paper that had the list of songs and point out the words on it that he knew. Thanks Rob. You made our day.
4. If you read this with any regularity you'll know that I normally go to bed at the crack of dusk....last night however Ernie was tired and I KNEW that he'd fall asleep before Ray Davies was on Letterman. So through sheer love and a couple of glasses of wine I forced myself to stay up. Ray Davies is to Ernie what Ian Hunter is to me. Oh man....he looked older...not bad....just older. Well, so do we all I guess. While he playing I thought "ehhh" but you know what....the song really stuck with me as I went to bed. Definitely a Ray Davies melody. I gotta say though....I swear when Letterman thanked him he called him Ray Davis. ugh. But when Ernie watched him he did that little half smile he does when he's really happy.
5. Last night was Day One of the new mealtime/eating rules at our house. It was as exhausting as I thought it would be. I won't even tell you what the new rules are because you will understandably judge me and think why the hell HAVEN'T you been doing that? All I can say is.....you have not lived with Leo. Normal approaches with Leo can backfire and I have learned this the hard, hard, HARD way. He's softening a bit though as he grows up though. So I made the kid-friendliest meal I could think of and about an hour or so later Leo actually ingested a speck of chicken and a speck of a carrot. We had to leave the room. Now if Owen did that I would know he'd just hidden the specks somewhere but Leo I can trust and I know he ingested them...even though he said they were terrible. This is a big step for Leo though....he's come a long way in dealing with things he doesn't like. Even a year ago this would have led to complete bedlam and anarchy. We made it through however and he happily devoured the blueberry cobbler... whew.
Owen loves helping cook:
6. I've been looking at old pictures of my Dad lately. Here we are when Leo was a baby. Uh, well, not a baby exactly....will you LOOK at the size of that child? We were at Judi's house in Iowa City...2000 maybe. Not that long ago really....