1. Our damn cat Hattie scared us to death this morning. Normally every morning she is VERY much in evidence; when I get up she's normally sitting in the bathtub awaiting my arrival. This morning? Nowhere. And as those of you around here know, it was tremendously windy all afternoon and evening yesterday. Our front screen door, which needs to be replaced desperately, sometimes flaps open in the wind....and Hattie has been known to make a dash for freedom. So when there were only two cats wandering around meowing and chasing each other this morning....everyone feared the worst. Even LEO spent some time looking for her and he is none too fond of Hattie. Owen searched outside and eventually took off sadly for school. Of course when Ernie walked back in the house there she was, calmly walking upstairs. Ernie managed to catch Owen to tell him and there was great rejoicing in the land. Me? I feel wiped out.....the aftermath of that adrenalin surge. Yeesh. That cat owes me.
2. Here is a somewhat blurry picture of Owen going to school on Wednesday....but I love it just the same.
3. Leo turns twelve tomorrow. I KNOW. Freaks me the hell out. My sweet, sweet pea. Those little sideways smiles he gives just slay me. The plans for the day include a giant birthday biscuit (he doesn't like cake), fries at Fries and Peanuts for lunch, and as he explains, "I'm totally in charge because it's my birthday." He told me yesterday how odd it is that the days seem to slow down right before your birthday. God I love him.
4. Owen is VERY excited about Leo's birthday. He advised us on some of the gifts. There's one 'big' gift, another two small things and one I figured that Owen could give him. Owen is SO excited about the 'big' gift however that he wants that one to be from him. I pointed out that Leo would know that Owen couldn't have afforded that gift. He countered, saying Leo would know he didn't actually buy the other one either. He's right...so I shrugged and said that he could give Leo the 'big' gift. The fact that the boys get so excited about giving each other gifts does my heart good so what the hell..... His father and I will Leo the 'smaller' gifts and as long as my guys are happy that's all that counts. Owen has already wrapped his gift and hidden it and is making elaborate plans to stay up late tonight and wrap the other ones. Love that boy.
5. I got caught up on my Sandwich Life House Concerts page on facebook and added the Rod Picott and Amanda Shires concert. This is going to be a REALLY good one. Well, they all are but you know what I mean! Friday, November 18, 2011....the usual drill....potluck at 6:00 and music to follow. I'm leaning towards something Greek for food but we'll see....obsessing over it is part of the pleasure.....
6. Reason #256 Why You Should Have Kids When You're Young: the miniscule...and I mean MINISCULE...font they use on the tiny little pieces of paper they send home with weekly grades in middle school. It's these tiny little sheets of paper----just a couple of inches wide----and there's row after row of grades in font size 2 or something. I back away and squint and nod approvingly depending on how pleased Leo seems. Geesh.