1. Owen has the flu. Sigh. I'm hoping Leo doesn't get it because otherwise our trip to Birmingham for BrickFair will be in jeopardy. As Leo left for school just now I yelled, "Don't get sick!" He stuck his head around the corner and said, "I can't guarantee that. My school is full of stupid people that ADMIT they never wash their hands." My sweet pea.
2. How do I get a cat to understand that it is fine and dandy if they wish to sleep under our sheets and blankets at our feet but they do NOT have the right to attack our feet if we happen to move them an inch or so in our sleep? Yeah, I didn't think so....
3. Frost. And light.
4. Hash for dinner last night. Cabbage, bacon, potatoes, onions and garlic with a poached egg on top. Ernie and I have decided that we need a poached egg tutorial. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I used too much potato in last night's hash...the beautiful cabbage got overwhelmed.
5. I love my husband. As he was eating dinner the other night (roast chicken, swiss chard and mmm....some kind of strange crossbreed of Potatoes Anna and hash browns. What actually happened was that we (meaning Ernie...I'm not allowed to use the mandoline) sliced a bunch of potatoes to make home made potato chips only to find that our deep fat fryer had died. I tried doing it in a pan but didn't have a thermometer and we aborted the whole thing and threw the potatoes in the refrigerator. The next day I salt and peppered them, microwaved them for a minute or two and then threw them in a cast iron skillet. Pretty great if I do say so myself!) Ernie raved about the Swiss chard and asked me how I got it so smoky. I explained that as I went to get a camera and busily take pictures (which didn't even turn out that great) I burned it. Gotta be honest. Smoky...burned....it's all a matter of perception.
6. I like my Strong Shoulder Atlas canning jar.
7. I'm pondering sending in a recipe to WILL for their Family Favorites recipe thingy but I can't choose. Any ideas? Per my friend Susan's suggestion I'm also suggesting that Owen submit something. He'd be wonderful on TV, wouldn't he?
8. Oh, and yeah....I've totally given up on The Cure....