A tough parenting decision. Owen has a way with words however and I am enough of my father's daughter to respect that, listen and make a decision that I feel is fair and take into account well presented and factual arguments.
I'm letting him get Grand Theft Auto.
I know, I know, I know.
The other day Owen said he wanted to put together a pinpoint presentation. "A powerpoint presentation you mean?" but no, he said it was a pinpoint presentation. I nodded my head and he and Ernie took off for supplies. Yesterday morning more supplies were needed. I pretty much ignored the whole thing.
Yesterday, Ernie and I were out and Owen called us, asking us when we'd be home because he had something he wanted to show us. We came in and there it was....the pinpoint presentation, complete with two chairs in front of it...just waiting for us.
- It's just a game! Like you guys always say, (And I quote) "Honey, it's just a game. There's no need to get so worked up about it."
- It would make me so happy! It would make me VERY happy. Also, look how much work I put into this!
- I Am Responsible! I'm not gonna be a jerk and start rampaging. I'm not like that! (maybe.... Just kidding)
- It would replace Watch Dogs! I really wanted that game. And GTA is freeroam just like Watch Dogs. This reason I want to stretch (stress) the most because it would be similar to Watch Dogs. Please?
- I have a game that already is worse than GTA5. I have the game Far Cry, which is shown here (he then presented the game for our perusal...he had built a little sleeve into the back of the presentation board so it was easily accessed for display). It has worse dialogue, it's more violent than GTA and if you take it away I'm still gonna remember everything and think about it.
- Lots of my friends have it....GTA.... I would LOVE to play with my friends, it would be REAL fun.
Then I did really think about it. I read a little about it online and I asked myself why I was drawing a line in the sand on this one. I thought about Owen, I thought about what he already watches on youtube (God help us), I thought about some of the issues involved. Am I saying no because I said no and therefore won't consider his arguments? Eventually I gave him our decision. He can buy it with the condition that once a month while he is actively playing it he will need to write a short essay for us. He will need to write an essay explaining what he finds in it that he disagrees with. I told him I want him to consider the violence, racism, sexism, etc. Then we had a brief discussion about the difference between sex and sexism. He nodded. He asked what if he didn't find any thing like that and I said then he would just have to write about why he thinks those aren't in the game and we would discuss it. He agreed and I put the due dates for the essay on the calendar for the next few months.
Needless to say.....there was great celebration in the land.
And then I sat and wondered what the future holds for Owen.
Oh, and please notice the sharp Rod Picott t-shirt.