1. Someone left the toilet seat up so I sat in cold wetness first thing this morning. However the boys are being so cheerful that I'm not yelling at anybody. Right now they are arguing over who has more international friends online.
2. It's very interesting listening to Owen talk to people online when he's playing games. Over the sounds of our Christmas music his voice sails into the living room, "If a guy loves a guy, or a girl loves a girl, there is nothing wrong with that. You should just be happy for them and so you shouldn't use that word like it's a bad thing." Lord that boy just keeps fighting that battle.....I couldn't love him more. I'm proud of my sweet peas. They are certainly their own men, my sweet good-hearted boys. I'm glad they don't always take the easy path but I know they sometimes pay the price for that....as we all do.
3. Today? Lunch with my husband and then home to clean and bake cookies (probably mostly bake cookies). Tomorrow we get up and start roasting pork and swishing dust around. Can't wait. There's still lots of room so don't hesitate to join us. The Christmas party is special and we would love to have new friends mixed in with the old. Personally, I'm a great coward about going to parties but I encourage you to not be like me....and join us!!! You don't even have to let us know ahead of time....just come and introduce yourself!
4. The very day I posted about the Betty Crocker Cooky Book, we went into the infusion suite at the Cancer Center and lo and behold a cookie right from its pages!
5. In further Cooky Book anecdotes, last night I walked over to my cookbook shelf and grabbed the cook book to check a recipe temperature. Ernie looked at me and said, "Oh, do we have two copies of that book?" I looked at him puzzled and then realized I was holding a copy and there was also a copy on the peninsula (our version of a kitchen island). Just the other day I had told my sister Debbie that I though I had my mother-in-law's copy, that I didn't know what had happend to Mom's. I was certainly wrong....just shows how garbled family history and such can get. Ernie immediately said that his mother's copy was probably better than ours. I checked the one I was holding and it said 1963, third edition. He checked his and it said fourth edition. "SEE? Ours is older than yours" he chortled. Then I paged through the copy I had and found recipes in my grandmother's handwwriting so I was able to yell, "No, THIS is ours....ours is older!" Then he complained, "oh, you always win" "No, I don't" "Yes, you do" "No, I don't" "Yes, you do" and so on. These are the scintillating conversations that go on in our little world.
6. I think our trees are particularly beautiful this year, but then again, I think that every year. Here are some of my favorite ornaments, including our rare Bohemia ornament.