1. We tromped over to a friend's house yesterday. They'd invited us to brunch so we stopped and picked up some orange juice and prosecco to bring along. They greeted us and we confidently handed over our supplies and hung up our coats. They were kind and charming and finally said, "uhhhh.....actually brunch is next week but come on in."
Luckily they love us (I'm hoping anyway).
I don't think I've ever done that before. I am just not on top of things lately. What's amazing is that their house looked beautiful and ready to have people over. Sigh.
2. We hung out for a bit at the scene of the crime and then headed home where fortuitously, Owen had made lunch for everybody. Before we left I was trying to get him lunch and he was being picky and I was kind of impatient and said, "Ok, figure it out yourself then." We came home to pasta in tomato sauce with smoked sausage, garlic, Swiss chard and leeks. I kid you not. It was delicious. My sweet pea.
3. After lunch I thought about running some errands and being productive but in true Cynthia fashion I tossed that aside and had Ernie build a fire. I cooked up a batch of vegetable soup and read and later we curled up and watched Downton Abbey and caught up on Top Chef. A delightful day despite the embarrassment!
4. Evidently somebody is sometimes practicing shaving.
5. I was planning to make salmon omelets for dinner and use the salmon we'd gotten from our salmon heads. I kept feeling unenthusiastic (which is why they had been delayed to last night) and finally admitted to myself that I didn't care for the salmon that much. It wasn't bad but just had a different texture and taste and....uh....blech. I guess I'm not as adventuresome as I think!
6. We had omelets on the brain from our salmon plans however, so I made simple ones this morning with just a bit of cheddar and a sprinkling of herbes de provence. My Lord they were good....don't know why I don't make them more often. I know what I need to do.....teach Owen to make them!
7. In some wonderful news, we have added our beloved Jon Byrd to our schedule of house concerts for this year.....Friday, September 12, 2014! I'm SOOO pleased.