1. I hesitate to say this.....but.....I THINK I may feel a little better. I headed back to Convenient Care yesterday because although the Zpak of antibiotics had helped with the brochitis somewhat, the sinusitis was still raging and I was exhausted and tired of coughing and spitting and hacking and hurting. I barely made it into work this last week between that and weather and other doctor's appointments. They dosed me up with a new batch of antibiotics and although I don't feel great....I think there is actually improvement! Whew. This has been quite the month....I came down with this crap in the middle of December and while it's been nothing serious it's been miserable.
2. I feel as though things have been in limbo somewhat since I've been sick. Ernie finally took the trees down yesterday while I lay on the couch and coughed and dozed. I kept telling him to get the boys to help but after Owen helping for a dramatic few minutes with breakage and stress involved, Ernie finally said to me, "You know, it's quite peaceful doing this by myself" so I nodded and dozed off again while he worked, piling all the ornaments on the dining room table.
3. The boys both ordered phone cases for their phones. Leo's has a Union Pacific Big Boy on it and Owen's has Daft Punk. Thing One and Thing Two, I love them so.
4. Ernie and I started watching Orange is the New Black. It hadn't sounded terribly appealing to me but I'm quite enjoying it. Of course Owen has managed to slip in and watch it with us some although it's completely innappropriate. Although yet again, I have found that watching inappropriate tv with my child leads to absolutely wonderful conversations about life and sex, etc. He's a thoughtful one, that boy. And as he said, "Mom, everything I've seen on there, I mean I already knew about it." Then he paused and said, "I'm not even sure HOW I know about it all but I do."
5. Last night I stayed up late reading a library book. Owen was already asleep and Ernie came up and crawled into bed with me. From the next room we could hear Leo hysterical with laughter, talking to friends online, periodically yelling, sometimes positively cackling. Ernie said, "And that's our quiet one being that loud." I smiled and said, "And that's why there's no way we're telling him to quiet down."
6. For the second time in recent weeks I have read the News-Gazette's Getting Personal column and seen an answer that boggled my mind. When asked what three people they would ask for a dinner party if they could have anyone, they included one of their children, but not the others. Can you imagine asking me who I could have for dinner and me saying, "Uh, I'll ask Leo, but not Owen."??? Or the other way around? It just struck me as to how the other children would feel reading that. Of course who knows what their relationships are....I know, I know....it just struck me. It was both men, saying they'd include their son. Weird to me.
6. It's almost time for my January paycheck (thank God). The shocking thing about that however is that it means the month is almost half over. February is not my favorite month, too many memories of loved ones dying, birthdays and anniversarys that are no longer celebrated, but this year will be better because we have a house concert on February 1 and March 1. I love having house concerts during this long flat stretch of winter, it's as though we need the music more than ever. I can't wait to have RB Morris (February 1) and Rod Picott (March 1) both warm us up. They will good for our hearts and souls and bodies.
7. I am VERY excited about having RB Morris here on Saturday, February 1. Same story as always----potluck at 6:00 pm, music to follow, $20 in advance (PayPal if possible please), $25 day of show (all $ to RB). BYOB etc. RB will be reading from his most recent book as well as performing songs. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!! Please put it on your calendar.
As always, John Prine has outstanding taste in opening acts...