I slept like absolute shit Saturday night. As you may, or may not, know however, the quality of my sleep after a house concert is in inverse proportion to the quality of the show. Hence....absolutely mind-boggling, freaking fantastic show. We've been fortunate enough to have some extraordinary concerts at our house, but I gotta say, this one was one of the best. Brock Zeman and Blair Hogan brought it....some extraordinary songs, playing, singing, and beautiful harmonies. AND they were delightful people too.....absolutely lovely guys. I can always tell it's a really great show if I'm confused when they say, "We're going to do one more song," because it seems like they barely started....and yet each song is distinctive and stays in your memory whether you've heard it before or not.
Other important notes:
- They were lovely to Owen and Blair talked guitar pedals with him.
- They had David Olney anecdotes (it's always good to know your crowd, and they did indeed).
- Our PA fucked up but they were charming about it and it didn't matter a bit.
- Bill Poss did a great opening set and Blair did a couple of songs with him...as did JJ McDonald. Really wonderful. (I will be talking about the upcoming Moccasin Creek Festival soon but I'll mention it here as well. Check it out.)
- When I told them that we referred to them as the Soap Opera Boys, because Heather had mused, "Brock and Blair, such soap opera names," Brock confessed that he had been named after a character on the Young and the Restless. And here I didn't think I could love Heather more.... This still makes me giggle. Still.
- Food was good....thanks to everyone for bringing such great things!
- Not as crowded as I would have liked. In hindsight, commencement/Mother's Day weekend not the best, BUT everybody there absolutely LOVED them!
- Weather was delightful.
- I was happy. Granted I was exhausted the next day, but I felt better that night than I have in ages.
- Oh, and Mary, they started with the song you requested, and Kenny, I requested your song too, and Mark, I've got your CD and will get it in the mail!
- If you weren't able to be there, don't worry, we will definitely be having them back. In the meantime...do yourself a favor and get one of Brock's albums....truly....so worth it! I swear to God, I will buy it from you if you don't like it. And, by the way, Brock produced David Olney's most recent album, and you should get that too!
More photos over at the Sandwich Life House Concerts Facebook page.