Whew it's been busy. I have a weekend with NO work coming up though....and Monday off to boot. Some random notes in the meantime:
1. Owen says he's never going to fly again. The flights out to DC were ok. On the way back they MISSED their flight in DC. I will restrain myself from making a string of comments but I can't resist a single "DAMN IT I TOLD YOU TO GET THERE EARLY." Owen called me while Ernie was trying to rebook them and he was SO upset that I just tried to calm him down and say, "hey baby, stuff happens; it's not that big a deal." Eventually I pulled out the "you think Cyril Jordan or Chris Wilson has never missed a flight?" and I swear to God it calmed him down. It reminded me so much of the time when he was 4 and Speed Kills was his favorite song. I was trying to convince him to get ready and put on his shoes so I told him that Adam Schmitt wore shoes like the ones I was holding up in front of him. Heh. The boy was certainly born with the pop ear.
2. If I were a pilot I would just say "we couldn't land because of the storm cell, we'll circle and try again." I wouldn't add, "I have 15 minutes worth of gas left." Ummm...just a little advice. It was a really rough flight through thunderstorms coming from Chicago Monday evening. As Leo and I hurtled toward the airport in the storm I flinched every time there was lightning streaking to the ground. Leo kept saying reassuringly, "Mom, they're experienced pilots." They couldn't land for awhile because of the storm, and then even when they did they sat on the runway because there was too much lightning for the ground crew. Owen was a bit white-faced when he finally came out.
3. I sent the guys to breakfast at the Florida Avenue Grill in DC after googling around. They were quite pleased with my recommendation. Ernie, of course, went with his standard eggs over easy, sausage, and potatoes. He said the potatoes were amazing. They ignored my other recommendations but that's ok...I figured they would. I did want them to go to the Peruvian chicken place, and perhaps Ben's Chili Bowl, but what can you do. Oh, and Owen had fried chicken, mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. Um, yeah. I love that boy.
Owen had fried chicken, mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. Yup, that's my boy.
4. The guys didn't take many pictures, because, well, they're not me. Owen said he saw people at the memorials takings selfies with kissy faces and he thought it was disrespectful and I couldn't really argue with that. He liked the Lincoln Memorial the best; and he loved the Air and Space Museum. "No, National Portrait Gallery?" I asked hopefully. Aw that's ok. All I care about is what a good time they had.
5. I must say, I LOVE hanging out with Leo when the other guys are gone. He was so great this weekend. He listened to me go through all my hysterics when things with Matsuri seemed to be a disaster, got me water or wine as was appropriate, chatted to me and talked to me about his stuff. It was so great. I wish we'd had time to go out, but it was really lovely hanging out with him, just us. He was totally my rock. And my sweet pea of course. He was so excited for Owen when we were getting texts Saturday night while they were at the show---t did my heart good. I tried to make them hug each other at the airport but they shook hands. Sweet little idiots.
6. Here my sweet pea post Groovies....
7. And last, but not least....the Groovies shared my blog post about Owen's trip. It made me a bit giddy!