1. Ernie wakes me up at 6:30. I say "I hate you" because I couldn't sleep half the night and was finally sleeping.
2. Ernie wakes me up again at 7:00. I say, "I still hate you" but manage to drag myself out of bed.
3. At 7:21 I tell Owen to make sure he's ready on time, and I yell to Leo that it's time to come downstairs.
4. 7:45 we finally pull out of the drive way. I drop Leo off first because he needs to be there sooner even though that puts me further away from work after Owen. I drop Owen off and there's a girl lying in the street with concerned school officials. Hmmmm.
5. As I'm driving to work my phone rings. I don't get it because I'm driving but then I hear another phone ringing. When I get to work I search the car but can't find anything. I decide to check the voicemail that was left and then call Ernie's phone....but my phone dies in my hand.
6. I settle in at my desk and go through my purse.....no charger.
7. I sputter and head out to my car. I find the charger.
8. My boss calls Ernie's phone and we finally find it under the seat.
9. My phone comes back on and it's the refrigerator delivery people saying that they'll be there between 9:00 and noon.
10. I go to my 8:30 meeting.
11. Afterward I tell my boss I need to run Ernie's phone home because we don't have a land line and he needs it to make various calls today. The cats still have fleas and we need to get their medication.
12. I zoom home, hand Ernie his phone and tell him the refrigerator people are coming.
13. I get back to the office to find out someone has changed my 11:00 meeting to 10:00. It's 9:54...uhhhh. I scramble with phone calls and manage to set the meeting for 10:30.
14. I go to my 10:30 meeting which is outside looking at sites. In the middle of the meeting somebody from the high school calls me about Leo's vaccination record.....he got one of his vaccines three days before his third birthday so we need a letter from the doctor....I tell him the doctor's office has sworn they will fax it today. Otherwise Leo can't go to school beginning Wednesday.
15. I see a call from Ernie come in but don't take it because....meeting.
16. Our meeting splits up to go to another location. As I walk over there Ernie calls again. The refrigerator guys can't get the refrigerator through the kitchen door. Even though supposedly it's the same size as our old one....even after taking the doors off...they can't get it in. Ernie is yelling. I am yelling. Ernie said he had to send the refrigerator back to the store.
17. I get to the rest of my meeting and try to seem composed.
18. After the meeting I walk back to work and the phone rings. It is Owen, calling from school because he's sick.
19. I whimper a lot and tell him I don't know if I can come get him. He sounds truly pathetic so I say I'll be there in 15 or 20 minutes.
20. I rush to my office to get my keys and rant to my boss and my colleague while almost crying.
21. I drive to school and get Owen. As soon as I see him I know he's really sick...his face flushed with fever.
22. I accompany him to his locker.
23. I take him home.
24. Ernie and I sit and stare each other and wonder what to do. I obsessively google various models of refrigerators.
25. We go to the appliance place and tell them our sad tale of woe.
26. There aren't a lot of options. The one I'd like to get will take one to two weeks to get in.
27. I wander from refrigerator one to refrigerator two to refrigerator three and back again. And again.
28. The sales guy gets on the phone and comes back with good news. He tracked down one of the ones I want and we can get it tomorrow.
29. We go to the hardware store so Ernie can get the part to cap off the water line so we can turn the water back on, as they had to turn it off when they were taking our old refrigerator out.
30. We stop at a gas station to buy more fucking ice. ONE MORE BAG OF FUCKING ICE.
31. We get home and the part doesn't work. Ernie swears a lot.
32. I write a letter for work and we finally get another part for the refriterator line.
33. It leaks like hell so Ernie tightens is up more and it's stops dripping.
34. We check on Owen. I decide it's too late to go back to work.....it's almost 4:00 and I know the state I'm in I won't get anything done.
35. I take Ernie to Fries & Peanuts and buy him a drink. We sit and stare at each other.
36. We come home, sooth our sick boy, tell Leo the saga and Ernie and Owen go to the media room. I come here to spout.
37. I'm planning to order from Peking Garden for dinner. They deliver and we can get egg drop soup for Owen.
38. I have no fucking idea what will happen next.